Bouillabaisse is a traditional Provençal fish stew originating from the port city of Marseille. Use several different fresh fish and seafood varieties. My favourites are a combination of fish and shellfish. Don’t forget to serve a good hunk of crusty bread along side!
Serves – 6
FOR THE SOUP BASE
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped into small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 anchovies, finely chopped or 1 tsp (5 ml) anchovy paste
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 yellow pepper, diced small
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced small
- 4 medium white mushrooms, diced small
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 strips of orange peel (use a veg peeler)
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 (14 oz/398 mL) can tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 675-750 mL bottle of strained tomatoes
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into half-inch cubes or 12 baby potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE FISH
- 2 lbs combination of skinless cod and salmon, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1-2 lbs of mixed seafood, mussels, clams, shrimps, scallops
- Onion-salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil for the fish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over med heat. Add the onion, sauté until just beginning to caramelize, to buy cialis tablets about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add the anchovies, cook for 30 seconds or so. Add the carrots, peppers and jalapeno pepper, cook for a few minutes. Add the zucchini and mushrooms, cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf, red pepper flakes, orange peel, fennel and thyme, stir.
- Add both types of tomatoes, bring to a boil, turn the heat to low. Add the potatoes, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add 4 cups (1000 mL) water and the wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer UNCOVERED for another 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the bay leaf and orange peel. At this point the soup base can be frozen. Defrost and bring back to a boil before continuing with the next step.
- Let the fish and seafood sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes before adding to the hot soup. Season the fish and seafood well with onion-salt, pepper and olive oil, add to the pot along with the parsley and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the fish pieces flake. Do not overcook or stir too roughly.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a good hunk of crusty bread.
BA, BScOT Founder/Chef/Recipe Developer
DELICIOUSDISH Cooking School specializes in Whole Food Home
Cooking, Meal Panning, Recipe Developing and Healthy Eating.
D: 416.200.3522 E: email@example.com DeliciousDish.ca