This Thai inspired curry shrimp recipe is perfect for those cold winter days when you need something that will warm you from the inside out! Serves: 6
SERVING SIZE: 2-4
• 2 pounds large (16-20 size) shrimps, peeled and deveined
• 4-5 tbsp olive oil
• 1 yellow onion, diced small
• 3 cloves garlic, smash and chopped
• 1” piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
• 1 stalk of lemon grass*
• 2 tbsp curry powder
• 1 can of full fat coconut milk
• 1/4 cup water
• juice of 1 lime
• 1/2-1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
• 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes or 1 whole long red chili or 1/2 of a Thai bird chili, sliced in rounds, optional
• a few shakes of tabasco, optional
• 1 bunch of Thai basil or regular basil, leaves only
• 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach
Heat a heavy duty fry pan or cast iron pan over med high heat. Add half the oil. Add the shrimps and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until they are opaque. Remove from the pan to a plate, set aside.
Add the remainder of the oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent and golden, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and lemongrass, sauté for another minute or two. Add the curry powder, mix into the onion mixture, cook for another minute.
Add the coconut milk. And the water to the empty can of coconut milk, swish it around the can and dump that water into the pan with the coconut milk, let it boil, add the lime juice, salt, chilis, tabasco. Let the sauce boil and reduce for about 6-7 minutes. Taste the sauce, add more salt, chilis or lime to taste. Add the basil and spinach. Let the sauce thicken so that it coats the back of a spoon, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the shrimps back to the pan, let cook for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped jalapeno, cilantro, green onion.
Serve with the cooked rice and lime wedges.
BA, BScOT Founder/Chef/Recipe Developer
DELICIOUSDISH Cooking School specializes in Whole Food Home Cooking, Meal Planning, Recipe Developing and Healthy Eating.