NAME: Arif Virani
BIRTHPLACE: Kampala, Uganda
WHERE DO YOU CURRENTLY LIVE: Roncesvalles Village
CAREER: Member of Parliament
GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS: Marrying my amazing wife and rock of support, Hitachi Jain
1. WHAT BRINGS YOU JOY OR SATISFACTION?
Tickle fights with my two sons Nitin and Zakir
2. WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN?
Be careful never to get too high on the good days, nor too low on the bad days.
3. IF YOU COULD POSSESS ANY SUPER-HUMAN POWER, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
The ability to speak any language fluently.
4. WHAT DOES THE WORD COMMUNITY MEAN TO YOU?
Community means putting your neighbours’ needs ahead of your own.
5. WHAT IS ONE THING THAT VERY FEW PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT YOU?
I was once Martina Navratilova’s ball boy at a professional tennis tournament in Toronto.
6. WHO OR WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
People who have the courage to champion a socially just cause even when it is not popular or expedient to do so.
7. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME?
8. WHAT MAKES YOU LAUGH?
Funny photos of my 2 year old son eating, and self-deprecating humour.
9. WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE VACATION SPOT?
Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu, India–the most peaceful place I’ve ever been. The very tip of the Indian sub-continent, where the Indian Ocean, the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal all meet.
10. IF THE WHOLE COMMUNITY WAS LISTENING, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO THEM?
In this, the 150th anniversary year of Canadian Confederation, take some time to reflect on what Canada means to you, and more importantly what kind of country you want Canada to become over our next 150 years.