WHO ARE YOU?
NAME: Brian Purdy
WHERE DO YOU LIVE: Grimsby
CAREER: Producer / Director
TELL US ABOUT YOUR FAMILY AND PETS: My father Rai Purdy is honoured in the Canadian Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame as a Canadian Broadcast Pioneer for his career. Rai was the first program director for CFRB radio in Toronto. Rai hired Monty Hall as the first radio game show host. Brian’s son, Marc, is with the IATSE Union as a GRIP (stage hand) for major Toronto film productions. His grandson, Kyle, works with his father on these films on occasion. I have 2 American Eskimo dogs and 3 cats.
WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF THE WHOLE COMMUNITY WERE LISTENING?
Get together, stay together, work together and have fun.
WHO OR WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
WHAT WOULD YOU DEEM YOUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT?
Winning a GEMINI award for the time-lapse video of the building of Toronto’s Sky Dome (now Roger’s Centre) in Toronto. More recently with the Grimsby video, Engagement at the Forty, honoured and recognized with being cataloged with the Library & Archives of Canada, the Archives of Ontario, and being registered with the US Library of Congress as part of their “Guide to the War of 1812” listings.
• 105 International Awards for creative and production
• Inducted into the Half Century Club of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters
• Grimsby 2010 Citizen of the Year
• 2010 – Civic Achievement Award from the Town of Grimsby
• 2013 – Awarded the QE 11 Diamond Jubilee Medal for Community Service
• 2014 – Civic Recognition Award from the Town of Grimsby
• 2014 – Civic Recognition Award from the Niagara Region
• 2016 – Broadcast Award of Achievement (Gold) from the Ontario Association of Broadcasters
• Produced / Directed a total of 28 International Award – winning videos for The Town of Grimsby
WHAT ARE SOME FUN FACTS ABOUT YOU?
• Grimsby Resident since 2000
• Appointed by Grimsby City Council to the Grimsby Economic Development Advisory Committee 2006 – 2010
• Produced fundraising ($22,000) DVD for West Lincoln Memorial Hospital as a pro bono service, and at no cost to t
he WLMH – Won 16 International Awards – 2007
• Developed new Town of Grimsby branding slogan “Friendly by Nature” – 2008
• Produced 32 Historical Plaques for store windows on Grimsby’s Main Street – 2008
• Represented Grimsby on the 1812 Bicentennial Committee from 2008-2014
• Produced Mayor’s Business Appreciation Luncheons from 2008-2011
• Initiated and produced Canada’s first War of 1812 Peace Garden on
Grimsby’s Historic Site – 2010
• Director of Grimsby Conservation Club from 2011-2017
• Produced “Historic Village” (1812) and parades at Grimsby’s “Happening at the Forty” event from 2011-2013
• Produced Town of Grimsby video “Engagement at the Forty” War of 1812 re-enactment and Won 12 International Awards – 2013
• Brian Purdy with Omnii Media have collectively won a total of 46 International Awards
IF YOU COULD POSSESS ONE SUPER-HUMAN POWER, WHAT WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
To cut through red tape.
WHAT DOES THE WORD COMMUNITY MEAN TO YOU?
A group of people having the same interests.
WHAT IS ONE THING THAT VERY FEW PEOPLE WOULD KNOW ABOUT YOU?
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME?
My favourite movie is 1984.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE VACATION SPOT?
Dominican Republic when it dries out.
WHAT BRINGS YOU THE GREATEST JOY OR SATISFACTION?
Inventing new “firsts.”
WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU’VE EVER BEEN GIVEN?
Do unto others.
WHAT PROJECT ARE YOU WORKING ON NOW?
I’m the new General Manager of Niagara Gateway Information Centre at the Welcome Center in Grimsby. We’re in the process of refurbishing this vital Niagara tourist facility. Also welcoming new volunteers and providing strategic advertising opportunities for all of Niagara’s activities. Interested in volunteering at the Niagara Gateway Information Centre? Please contact Brian Purdy: firstname.lastname@example.org