WHO ARE YOU?
NAME: Ray Konkle
WHERE DO YOU LIVE: Jordan
CAREER: Retired from farming & semi-retired from politics
TELL US ABOUT YOUR FAMILY AND PETS:
My wife, Pat and I have a daughter, son and four amazing grand-children. We also have a black Labrador retriever, appropriately named Lincoln.
WHAT WOULD YOU DEEM YOUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT?
Being supported by my family and the community in 30 years of politics is my greatest achievement.
IF THE WHOLE COMMUNITY WERE LISTENING, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?
I would tell the community that “if it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.”
WHAT DOES THE WORD COMMUNITY MEAN TO YOU?
A community is more than one self, it is a collection of many races, creeds and beliefs of people living and working under common rules.
WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY OR SATISFACTION?
Being part of a growing community, from around 13,000 to 21,000 in 20+ years, is a great joy of mine. As the Mayor, I am brought satisfaction by trying to regulate change positively, as it impacts all of our lives in many different ways. I also really enjoy helping a person who may need a community’s support.
WHAT ARE SOME FUN FACTS ABOUT YOU?
– I really enjoy solving mechanical problems & building things just from an idea
– I enjoy doing research or investigating proposals from developers, when they wished to bring change to the town
– My first real job (besides working on fruit farms) was with J.B. Lamb and Co., (1958) in Hamilton, at $16.00 per week
– I have been awarded “The commemorative Medal of the 125 Anniversary of Confederation,” “The Melvin Jones Fellow of Lions” & “The Paul Harris Fellow of the Rotary Club”
– I have worked for Dur-O-Wal (a concrete reinforcement Company), Columbus McKinnon (a chain manufacturer) & Nestle Food Corporation, in sales
– I now sit on the board of a Non-Denominational Community Service Group, “The Village of Hope” for West Niagara.
WHAT MAKES YOU LAUGH?
I love comedy sitcoms that make us laugh at ourselves, such as All in The Family, Cheers, Fresh off The Boat & The Late-Night Show.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME?
My all time favourite movie is The Sound of Music 1965.
WHO OR WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
The tenacity of the late Winston Churchill inspires me.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE VACATION SPOT?
My favourite vacation spot is Grey County because it is peaceful, less demanding and moves at a much slower pace.
WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN?
The best advice I have been given is to become a good listener, before you open your mouth.