The secret to perfect homemade soup
The key to delicious DIY soup is as simple as getting the base right, according to chef Antonio Park, a judge on Chopped Canada and owner of two successful restaurants.
Starting with a flavourful broth made with natural ingredients is essential to creating a sensational pot of soup. “Quality recipes start with quality ingredients,” explains Park. “The broth really is the foundation that will set the flavour stage for every soup.”
Park recommends home chefs try his vegetarian mushroom miso soup, made with quality ingredients and all natural flavours. The base for this soup, Campbell’s Ready To Use Mushroom Broth, is infused with hints of cabernet sauvignon, sherry wines and essential oils from thyme, rosemary and bay leaves.
VEGETARIAN MUSHROOM MISO SOUP
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
• 1 carton (900 mL) Campbell’s Ready to Use Mushroom Broth
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) White Miso “fermented soy bean paste”
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) Sake (rice wine)
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) Dried wakame seaweed, sliced
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) Hard or soft tofu, cut in 1/4” (0.6 cm) cubes
• 1/3 cup (80 mL) Shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 1/3 cup (80 mL) White mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 1/3 cup (80 mL) Enoki mushrooms, whole
• 1/3 cup (80 mL) King oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) Chopped green onion
STEP 01 – Pour broth into a medium saucepan, and bring to a low simmer.
STEP 01 – Add miso paste and sake and whisk until smooth.
STEP 03 – Add dried wakame seaweed, tofu, shiitake, white, enoki and king oyster mushrooms to the pan and cook for another 5 min.
STEP 04 – Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped green onions.
- Add more miso instead of salt to season to taste.
- Garnish with cracked black pepper before serving.
Find more delicious recipes at www.cookwithcampbells.ca